Skip to main content

Baby-friendly Orange-Grape Popsicle

Who doesn't love popsicles when it's hot out? Earlier this month the temperatures in the whole of the Netherlands increased to about 26-30 degrees and it was HOT! Supermarkets were selling popsicles on big discounts and I purchased them as well.

Got home and enjoyed them, then Lennox looked at me longingly and wanted a taste. Uh... ok lemme check the ingredients list: "Water, sugar, glucose-fructose syrup etc etc"... YIPES! So it was a quick no no since (refined) sugar was on the list. I gave him ONE lick then said sorry, no more for you. I gulped it down then he started crying. Haha.

So the next day I bought a popsicle mould from the Action for like €1,99 and I made these beauties!

Ingredients list:
  • 3 oranges
  • a handful of grapes, cut lengthwise



I juiced the 3 oranges into a bowl, and i also left some bits of pulp in it as well. I don't own a juicer so I actually had a good tip from this (indian??) guy from youtube to juice it. It worked easily! 

Once juiced i poured it into the moulds and added the cut grapes into the mould (the smaller, the better! Big chunks of fruit might break the popsicle once frozen). It filled up 5 of my popsicle moulds.

Leave it in the fridge for at least 4 hours! And voila!  So easy to make and so much healthier as well, since you can control what you add to it. I'll experiment with more combinations when the weather gets better :P

It was so yummy i had 2 on one night ;)


I had a bit of trouble to get the popsicle out of the mould so one tip to getting the popsicle out was to hold the mould under running water and use the warmth of your hand to loosen the sides of the popsicle. 

No mould at home? Before i bought the mould i was also contemplating these 5 methods to make popsicles without a mould. Seems pretty easy to make as well. 

Anyone tried any interesting combinations?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flying alone for 13 hours with a toddler and a baby?!

Just the thought of flying alone with baby Sterling (then 3.5 months) and Lennox (exactly 2 years) was scary and intimidating. I even considered NOT flying to Singapore because i was afraid that i wouldn't be able to handle the 13 hour flight alone with them. But that would mean that my whole family (sister, brothers, grandma, nephews, nieces, uncles, aunts etc etc) and my Singapore friends would not be able to see the new baby... and it had already been a year since they saw Lennox. So i told myself i had to do it! And i did! Here's a few things i did to prep for the flight and to make the flight that much less scary: I chose a  night flight  instead of day time ones: obviously, to follow their sleep rhythm. I was lucky enough to have a choice of 9pm flight instead of a 11am one; I made sure they had a  'regular/boring' day  with naps etc, so that they were not overly excited or over tired; confirm my baby bassinet . Flying with KLM with a baby for the fir...

First day of playschool jitters (for me)

About 3 weeks ago Lennox started playschool. In Holland they can start with something called 'peuterspeelzaal' (toddler playgroup) from 2 years old. It is 2 times a week, about 3 hours each time. Since Lennox is bilingual and speaks Malay at home, he can also go 4 times a week when he becomes 2.5 years old. Although we have been going to playgroups in the past (since he was about 8 months old), i always had to stay with him for the duration. So for him and for me, it was a pretty big step to drop him off to the hands of the teachers (they call them ' jufs ' here). The only other times Lennox has been on his own is with family and one other time with a babysitter (when the birth of Sterling impending and we wanted to be prepared). His peuterspeelzaal has a pretty decent size, about 14 kids to 2 teachers. The kids range from 2-4 years old. From 4 years old the kids go to "Groep 1" which is like nursery (N1/N2) for us in Singapore. The first weeks have gone...

Breastfeeding & Ramadan? Part 2 - Got milk?

It's 27 june and we are 3 weeks into Ramadan! It didn't feel like it went quickly (especially in the beginning) but Hari Raya (Eid / Suikerfeest) is just over a week away! After a few compulsory non-fasting days (hello period), i was full on fasting while breastfeeding. I must admit, although I did the research and science says that milk supply would not be affected, it was still something i thought about a lot during the first days of fasting! It was all just in my mind though. After 2 days i was sure my milk supply was lesser than usual... but on the 3rd day (as though also a sign from the guy up there) when breast feeding, i was spraying milk from one side and leaking on the other just like the first newborn months!! Ok, so no dip in supply then! :P Totally what i felt like on day 3 :P