Skip to main content

I think i put ON weight while breastfeeding?!

"You burn off so many calories breastfeeding!"... "i'm hungry and eating all the time because i'm losing so much weight breastfeeding!"... "it's so great i don't have to work out and i totally went back to my pre pregnancy weight!"... etc 

I heard phrases like these everywhere before i gave birth for the first time. It was one of the things i was looking forward to before i became a first-time-mom with Lennox almost 2 years ago. I knew i would try to breastfeed if i was able to. And another selfish reason i wanted to breastfeed was because i've heard tons of stories of women who lost their pregnancy weight (and more) just like *that*.

Ok let's back track a little here. I am always in favour or being strong & fit rather than thin & weak. All my life i've never been the small/skinny one and that's been ok. I've always been active since my teenage years with canoeing/canoepolo, wakeboarding and now crossfit. I have tummy rolls and cellulite and that's fine as long as i feel good in my clothes and that i feel powerful.

I put on a pretty decent amount of weight for both pregnancies, around 9-10kg with each. I guess i was looking forward to being lazy aka just losing the kilos without having to do more than breastfeeding >.<

But the whole weight melting off thing has unfortunately not happened for me. Instead i feel like i actually put ON weight while breastfeeding!!

My milk guzzlers Lennox & Sterling at 23 months and 2.5 months


In the first 4-5 weeks of Lennox's life, I had felt a hunger that i NEVER ever felt before. I was CONSTANTLY hungry and thirsty. I ate everything in sight (luckily for me, relatively healthy meals) and 2 hours later i would be hungry again. As i took on the task of being the only source of food for my baby for the first 6 months of his life, i made sure i ate well so he would be well-nourished. It was an internal struggle... I wanted to lose weight, but also knew that i didn't want to do anything too drastic to lose weight which might affect my milk supply.

I started working out again about 6 weeks postpartum and although i felt myself getting stronger each week, the weight still remained the same. That was demoralising for me because i still could not fit into the pre-pregnancy clothes and i just felt uncomfortable in my own skin. After awhile though, I was starting to feel good again and I was actually intensifying my crossfit training when Lennox was turned 1 in June 2016.

AND THEN I FELL PREGNANT AGAIN. *rolls eyes*

ANYWHO. Now i am 3 months postpartum after birthing Sterling and you know what? I have no more crazy expectations of losing weight from breastfeeding. Or losing weight in general really.

I aim to fully breastfeed Sterling until he starts solids (and beyond) and my priority is for all of us just to stay healthy. I am working out now about 2 times a week, but the aim is to become a STRONG mama... and if i lose excess weight in the process, that's a bonus. I have all the time in the world to lose unwanted weight after my kids do not rely on me for milk.

Also, this just means i need to do more clothes shopping in bigger sizes... haha ;)

Any of you experience the same as me? Or are you one of the lucky ones who lost weight from breastfeeding?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding & Ramadan? Part 1

Tomorrow marks the first day of Ramadan in 2016. Last year i did not fast as Lennox was born on the 5th day of Ramadan, my little ramadan baby! :) This year I plan to fast as usual. Only difference is that I'm breastfeeding. Lennox is almost 1 and nurses on average 4 times a day: in the morning, before nap #1 (about 1130am), before nap #2 (about 5pm) and before he goes to sleep at night (about 830pm). Throughout the night he still wakes up sometimes and the quickest way to get him back to sleep is to nurse him. The night needs are comfort feeds i think, i don't think he's having a full meal in the middle of the night. There are fears that my milk supply might run out when i fast. But I guess since Lennox is already almost 1 and also having solids, it would be very different than a newborn or 4-5 month old exclusively on breastmilk. I did some research about breastfeeding during ramadan and it pretty much says it's up to the mom whether she wants to fast or not. Re

Baby-friendly Orange-Grape Popsicle

Who doesn't love popsicles when it's hot out? Earlier this month the temperatures in the whole of the Netherlands increased to about 26-30 degrees and it was HOT! Supermarkets were selling popsicles on big discounts and I purchased them as well. Got home and enjoyed them, then Lennox looked at me longingly and wanted a taste. Uh... ok lemme check the ingredients list: "Water, sugar, glucose-fructose syrup etc etc"... YIPES! So it was a quick no no since (refined) sugar was on the list. I gave him ONE lick then said sorry, no more for you. I gulped it down then he started crying. Haha. So the next day I bought a popsicle mould from the Action for like €1,99 and I made these beauties! Ingredients list: 3 oranges a handful of grapes, cut lengthwise

Breastfeeding & Ramadan? Part 2 - Got milk?

It's 27 june and we are 3 weeks into Ramadan! It didn't feel like it went quickly (especially in the beginning) but Hari Raya (Eid / Suikerfeest) is just over a week away! After a few compulsory non-fasting days (hello period), i was full on fasting while breastfeeding. I must admit, although I did the research and science says that milk supply would not be affected, it was still something i thought about a lot during the first days of fasting! It was all just in my mind though. After 2 days i was sure my milk supply was lesser than usual... but on the 3rd day (as though also a sign from the guy up there) when breast feeding, i was spraying milk from one side and leaking on the other just like the first newborn months!! Ok, so no dip in supply then! :P Totally what i felt like on day 3 :P