Skip to main content

Tandem breastfeeding Lennox & Sterling

I've previously written about breastfeeding Lennox while he was at age 14 months (see blogpost here). It's hard to believe that Nox would turn 23 months in a few days, and his 2nd birthday is just around the corner! And yes i'm STILL breastfeeding! :)

Currently i am breastfeeding both my newborn Sterling (he is 10 weeks old -- is he still considered newborn??? hmmmm) and Lennox. This blogpost is not meant to be about the pros of tandem breastfeeding (there are many other more reliable sources i used like kellymom.com and the amazing FAQ), but this is just my how i experienced it the last 2 months.

Breastfeeding while pregnant

When i found out i was pregnant, one of the first things i wondered is if i would continue breastfeeding Lennox. Many moms would choose to stop, which is totally understandable. After speaking to my midwife and my lactation consultant, i decided to just continue. They advised that there was no reason to stop if i felt good. As long as I wasn't losing weight or feeling very tired, i could continue breastfeeding, no problem!

However, it was a pain to do!! Lennox was down to about 2-3 feeds a day. And because of the pregnancy hormones, from about 12 weeks, when Lennox latched, it hurt like crazy! After latching on about 10 seconds, then the pain disappeared and it was back to normal. My boobs felt 'empty' as well, i was always wondering what he was drinking haha. Supposedly the milk changes to colostrum around week 20.

I also wondered if Lennox would stop breastfeeding because of the change in taste of the milk. There were 2 instances i remembered when he was feeding then he would suddenly stop, look at my nipple in a weird way, then point to it. At this juncture i would be thinking , oh, maybe he doesn't like the taste and will stop. But nope, he just continued drinking haha.


Lennox sleeping with me and my 38-week belly

After awhile i just got used to the initial latch on pain, and Lennox continued breastfeeding until the day i gave birth.


Breastfeeding toddler annoyance

The annoying thing about breastfeeding Lennox is not the act itself. I actually am happy to take a couple of minutes off to just close my eyes and rest and feel the closeness with Lennox while he feeds.

HOWEVER, because most toddlers are irritating, his hand that is free would be pinching my skin, grabbing my other nipple, playing with my face, nose, belly button. And that drives me totally nuts!!!

So many times i've scolded him and held his hand down while feeding coz his hand just can't stay put. And of course sometimes he does some acrobatics and tries to flip around with my nipple in his mouth.

Anyone feels me?? Ugh.


Tandem breastfeeding when Sterling arrived

Like all moms i think we worry how our firstborn would react with the birth of the 2nd child. I did my best to try to introduce Lennox to the baby before he came - i got him a baby doll to play with and got some pregnancy books to read to him. Naturally i was afraid that he might get jealous once he sees the baby drinking milk and taking attention away from him.

I'm glad to say since Sterling was born Lennox has been THE SWEETEST older brother. Of course he has his tantrums and screaming, but never once has he hit or cried because of Sterling.

I tried my hand with tandem breastfeeding on day 2. Sterling was breastfeeding and Lennox was very very sleepy and he wanted to breastfeed too. He was starting to wail and cry then my kraamzorg (post natal caregiver who is also a lactation consultant) said "well, you do have 2 breasts right?"

And so she taught me positions to be able to feed both babies at once. My favourite position is Sterling in a rugby hold on one side with pillows supporting, and then Lennox on the other side. It's easier to always get the newborn to latch first since their necks are so wobbly. And since
Lennox can do acrobatics anyway, he latches on after.

This was the first time i tandem breastfed!


Lennox was more needy with me the first 2 weeks and wanted to breastfeed more than usual, which i expected. 10 weeks on, he's back to about 3 feeds a day - one in the morning when he wakes up, one before the afternoon nap and one before sleeping at night.


Tandem breastfeeding is amazing!

I must admit, it's really quite something to be able to nourish and feed both your kids at the same time. I've also had so many 'awwww' moments when Lennox reaches over to hold Sterling's hand, or when they both look at each other while they feed.

Also when my milk started to come in on Day 3, my full breasts were promptly emptied by Lennox the milk guzzler. I'm thankful that both my kids are able to latch on easily since birth and i didnt have any issues breastfeeding. It took about 3 weeks or so for my production to stabilise and now i pump milk maybe about once or twice a week just to have some milk stored in the freezer for Sterling when i am out.

It's not all peaches and cream though. There are just some times when i just don't feel up for tandem breastfeeding and Lennox ends up crying in the other room. So i usually try to time Sterling's feeds such that it doesnt clash with Lennox's feed.


Just like how i wrote previously, i never intended to breastfeed as long as i am now. Neither did i expect to breastfeed while pregnant, or that i would tandem feed both my toddler and baby. But i'm going with the flow and just listening to my body and the needs of my kids.

I'm not sure how long i will continue to feed Lennox. On some days i feel so annoyed with him that i want to stop soon; i tell myself that he's about to turn 2 anyway! On the other hand he's still such a small person and i just cannot bear to say no when he says 'susu' (milk) and does the sign for it with his cute little face.

I guess we'll see!

I'm interested to hear about your breastfeeding stories! Tandem or just feeding your toddler!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breastfeeding & Ramadan? Part 1

Tomorrow marks the first day of Ramadan in 2016. Last year i did not fast as Lennox was born on the 5th day of Ramadan, my little ramadan baby! :) This year I plan to fast as usual. Only difference is that I'm breastfeeding. Lennox is almost 1 and nurses on average 4 times a day: in the morning, before nap #1 (about 1130am), before nap #2 (about 5pm) and before he goes to sleep at night (about 830pm). Throughout the night he still wakes up sometimes and the quickest way to get him back to sleep is to nurse him. The night needs are comfort feeds i think, i don't think he's having a full meal in the middle of the night. There are fears that my milk supply might run out when i fast. But I guess since Lennox is already almost 1 and also having solids, it would be very different than a newborn or 4-5 month old exclusively on breastmilk. I did some research about breastfeeding during ramadan and it pretty much says it's up to the mom whether she wants to fast or not. Re

Baby-friendly Orange-Grape Popsicle

Who doesn't love popsicles when it's hot out? Earlier this month the temperatures in the whole of the Netherlands increased to about 26-30 degrees and it was HOT! Supermarkets were selling popsicles on big discounts and I purchased them as well. Got home and enjoyed them, then Lennox looked at me longingly and wanted a taste. Uh... ok lemme check the ingredients list: "Water, sugar, glucose-fructose syrup etc etc"... YIPES! So it was a quick no no since (refined) sugar was on the list. I gave him ONE lick then said sorry, no more for you. I gulped it down then he started crying. Haha. So the next day I bought a popsicle mould from the Action for like €1,99 and I made these beauties! Ingredients list: 3 oranges a handful of grapes, cut lengthwise

Breastfeeding & Ramadan? Part 2 - Got milk?

It's 27 june and we are 3 weeks into Ramadan! It didn't feel like it went quickly (especially in the beginning) but Hari Raya (Eid / Suikerfeest) is just over a week away! After a few compulsory non-fasting days (hello period), i was full on fasting while breastfeeding. I must admit, although I did the research and science says that milk supply would not be affected, it was still something i thought about a lot during the first days of fasting! It was all just in my mind though. After 2 days i was sure my milk supply was lesser than usual... but on the 3rd day (as though also a sign from the guy up there) when breast feeding, i was spraying milk from one side and leaking on the other just like the first newborn months!! Ok, so no dip in supply then! :P Totally what i felt like on day 3 :P